However, too often, the visual delight of a meal is overlooked. One of the easiest ways to remedy this, is – Cooking with Flowers.
Cooking with Flowers adds colour, fun, elegance, zest and art to any food you are serving.
Please see my blog last week, Edible Flowers(1), for a list of which flowers are edible, and the nutrients in each of them. Cooking with Flowers, is about how to create meals that will impress your family and friends by adding a blend of blossoms to both sweets and savoury dishes.
A few suggestions first…
- Try and pick your flowers just before cooking with them
- If you are buying the flowers, cover them with a damp cloth and keep them in the fridge in an airtight container (they will last three or four days this way)
- Wash flowers thoroughly, but delicately in cold water, before using
- Use the petals (discard the pistils and stamens)
- Add flowers to the meal after you have finished cooking, do not actually cook them, as the flowers are too fragile, and will break up