There’s no getting away from stress, it’s simply part of life. Anything that places a demand upon you, i.e. elicits a response, is considered stress(1). Technically that means: losing your job, receiving a promotion, going down to the police station, or going on a holiday, are all stressful, as they all place a demand upon you.
However, some of the above are welcome and some of them aren’t. And that’s really what decides whether ‘stress’ is a negative or a positive ~ your perception. So this little ABC list of Stress Management is about ways of staying positive in amongst it all, of staying chill even when the demand is an unwelcome one, and as the mantra goes ~ of not sweating ‘the small stuff, and remember, it’s all small stuff’.
All of the following should lighten the load in some way; they’ll either calm your nerves, quieten the din, delight your senses, or bring a smile to your face…
- A is for apples (pectin is brilliant for alleviating stomach stress), afternoon tea, art, adapting, adventure, aromatherapy, and acts of beauty, love and kindness
- B is for bath, bath-bombs(2), books, butterflies, berries, loving your body, and Bach flower remedies(3)
- C is for colour, cats, crying (tears release stress hormones), creating, crafting, and candles
- D is for dandelion tea, daffodils, dogs, dancing, don’t hold grudges (the other guy really is out dancing) and daily practice (whether it be tai chi, yoga, gardening, bathing, or boxing, a daily practice of anything is a buffer from the world)
- E is for earthing(4) (walking barefoot on the earth), exercise, and getting your endorphins moving (endorphins are your happy-chappy hormones, that kick in the moment you start to exercise)
- F is for faeries, faerie books, creating faerie paths at the bottom of your garden, in fact anything faerie’ish at all ~ I am sure it’s been scientifically proven somewhere, that it’s impossible to connect with faeries and stay stressed